Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Quick Gourmet Chicken Salad to Welcome You Back!


It's amazing how time zips by - and suddenly I realize that I have been focused so much on regular life and the store that I let our blog get a bit neglected!  Hmm...a bit embarrassing.  Well, it's time to resurrect our blog!

Although talking about furniture can be interesting, it's not the most interesting thing all the time.  So, in our blog, I will post not only furniture-related posts but I will also post a variety of things - food, crafts, pets - you'll have to wait and see exactly what!

After polishing and buffing this blog back into shiny new-ness, I will start my posts with a recipe I love (well, my family loves it, too!).  I found this originally on Real Mom Kitchen and once I tried it, I never went back to regular chicken salad.  It is that good.  The recipe is Quick Gourmet Chicken Salad.  It lives up to its name since is quick and it tastes gourmet - like you would get at one of those fancy sandwich eateries!  Mmmm...it is so yummy, we've eaten it as a sandwich on small french rolls or even put open-faced on sliced pieces of toasted sourdough.  It is a favorite for lunch or dinner and I am sure you'll love it too!  I put my substitutions in parentheses in the recipe.


Quick Gourmet Chicken Salad

2 (12.5 oz) cans of chicken (or 3 cups diced cooked chicken)
3/4 cup light mayonnaise ( I use Vegenaise)
1 cup red grapes, halved
1 green onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1/2 cup diced apple (I dice 1 whole apple)
salt and pepper to taste
pecans or cashews, optional
bread or lettuce leaves - for serving

Directions:

Drain the chicken (if using canned) and shred.
In a bowl, combine the chicken, mayo, grapes, green onion, celery, apple, salt, and pepper.
Mix together gently with a spoon until well blended (don't smash those grape halves!).
You may need to add more mayo, a spoon at a time, if the mixture isn't sticking together enough.
Serve on rolls, bread, or croissants.
Sprinkle with some cashews or pecans, if desired.
For a lower carb version, it can be served on a lettuce leaf instead of the bread.

Personally, I don't use the nuts on it - I like it as it is.  But some of you may like it!
Do try it and let me know what you think!

~Suzanne
aka Furniture Gal

No comments: